Small Group Ministries (SGM)
• People come into our church communities looking for a place to belong (intimacy) and a place to seek meaning (ultimacy) about living and dying and the spaces between…..we provide this!
• Small groups help us to more effectively welcome individuals who have not yet discovered that we offer the church home they need.
• They provide an interconnection throughout the church.
• Helps deepen our understanding of UU principles and values, challenges spiritual growth, and help us express our values in the community.
HOW MANY PEOPLE?
• Groups usually have between 8 – 12 members as determined by the Minister and Director of Membership.
• Group sign-up is in September. Groups run October-May.
WHAT HAPPENS AT SMALL GROUP MINISTRY MEETINGS?
• Session plans are provided by the minister and go something like: Opening words and Chalice Lighting…Check-in…Topic/Discussion…Check-out or Likes and Wishes….Closing Words.
• Sessions are not a curriculum. They are questions on religious and life issues presented in a fashion to help us share, explore and grow.
WHAT IS EXPECTED OF ME IN A SMALL GROUP?
• We ask members to make a COMMITMENT to the group. Members work together to write a covenant concerning attendance, respect, confidentiality and service…(and more if they wish)
• Small groups are expected to organize and follow-through with ONE volunteer project outside the church and ONE service project within the church per year.
WHY IS THE IDEA OF SERVICE EXPECTED?
• It helps to offset the natural tendency of small groups to become self absorbed and disconnected.
• A necessary aspect of a growing spiritual life and a life of faith is service.
HOW DOES THIS TIE INTO THE MISSION STATEMENT OF FIRST UU?
“We grow in search of Wisdom. We care in support of Community. We act in service of Justice.”
GREAT QUESTION! LET’S TALK ABOUT IT!!!
ASSIGNMENT TO A GROUP
Any one who is interested in joining a Small Group at First UU should complete the sign-up/information sheet and turn it into the church office, or email it to email@example.com. Forms are also available at the church office. Please read the small group ministry guidelines before turning in your form.