We are passionate about social justice at this church. We are an open, informed, interfaith community and our passion for social justice manifests in a variety of activities such as public witnessing, anti-racism training, online communication, canvassing neighborhoods, and inviting diverse groups to facilitate conversation in the church. Our social justice and outreach programs are grounded in the faith community and relate back to the eight principles of our faith.
We approach our social justice initiatives through direct service, policy and procedural work, and fighting for systemic change. Each of our initiatives strives to be intersectional in outlook and practice. Our social justice programs hope to provide a space for open communication and reflection, as well as the chance to facilitate reflection and time to discern next steps.
- Hosts Side-by-Side prom for LGBTQIA+ youth in the Richmond Area
- Staffs a booth at RVA Pride
- Participates in Transgender Day of Remembrance
- Hosts guest speakers to educate the community on LGBTQIA issues
- For more information, please contact Jena Hintze at Jenakhintze@gmail.com
- Once each year, 1st UU participates in an interfaith initiative in the Richmond area to house individuals who are homeless. 1st UU volunteers help CARITAS guests and staff during a designated week by donating, preparing, and serving food.
- For more information, please contact Su Boer at firstname.lastname@example.org
1st UU EARTH MINISTRY
- We host zoom sessions featuring speakers and videos on topics related to environmental justice, conservation, and Earth healing practices. We are partnering with the Living Water Community Center and the Foundation for Family and Community Healing. Environmental justice listserv – Please contact Susanna@familyandcommunityhealing.org if you wish to be added to the mailing list. Here are a few of our members sharing their love of our Mother Earth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhrGtFhesXA&list=PLd5Wu9l8bc45MdKRaROeYe75TemR2fBEo
What have we not thought of that you want to make happen? We welcome your ideas!